Red Sox pencil in Roman Anthony at leadoff as Marcelo Mayer, Kristian Campbell battle for roster spots taken at BSJ Headquarters (Red Sox)

Denis Poroy-Imagn Images

Aug 8, 2025; San Diego, California, USA; Boston Red Sox right fielder Roman Anthony (19) hits a single during the fifth inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park.

When the Red Sox open the 2026 season in Cincinnati, Roman Anthony will step into the batter’s box as Boston’s leadoff hitter.

Anthony, 21, is set to be the focal point of the lineup and will serve as the tone-setter to open the season. The young outfielder moved into the leadoff spot over the final 21 games last year before an oblique injury on Sept. 2 cut his season short.

In that stretch, Anthony went 37-for-110 (.336) with a .439/.564/1.003 slash line, launching six home runs with five doubles, one triple, 17 RBI, and 26 runs scored. In 27 plate appearances leading off games, he hit 8-for-25 (.320) with two home runs, one walk, and one hit-by-pitch.

Alex Cora is opting for Anthony over Jarren Duran, who is expected to hit lower in the order.

George Springer, Mookie Betts — they’ve done it before,” Cora told reporters, referencing power hitters who’ve thrived in the leadoff role. “Kyle Schwarber, too. It can be 1-0 very quick, or it’s a quality at-bat.”

Anthony’s rapid ascent has been undeniable. Despite playing just 71 games, he finished third in American League Rookie of the Year voting, earned a spot on Team USA’s World Baseball Classic roster, and was ranked by MLB Network as the second-best left fielder entering 2026.

Cora has now revealed two lineup anchors in Anthony at the top and Willson Contreras in the cleanup spot.

“I know Willson (Contreras, acquired last month in a trade with St. Louis) will probably hit fourth. I know that one,” Cora said at Fenway Fest.

That alignment could push Trevor Story into the No. 2 spot, with Wilyer Abreu and Duran interchangeable in the three-hole. Caleb Durbin projects to bat sixth, while Marcelo Mayer — if he breaks camp with the team — could slot in seventh. Carlos Narváez and Ceddanne Rafaela would round out the order.

The announcement marks a shift from Cora’s tone just a month ago at Fenway Fest, when he was noncommittal about who would lead off.

“I’m not there yet, to be honest,” Cora said in January. “Usually by this point I have a pretty good idea of what we’re going to do. But honestly, I have no idea. I think we have to wait and see what the roster is going to look like. In a few positions, there are going to be battles. That’s something that’s going to dictate what we’re going to do.

“For the first time in years, I don’t know how we’re going to do it.”

Is Marcelo Mayer a Lock For Opening Day?

The Red Sox open Grapefruit League play Saturday afternoon, giving players a clear runway to stake their claim for a spot on the 2026 Opening Day roster.

One notable name without a guaranteed job is Mayer. The 23-year-old is in the mix to start at either second or third base, but if he’s going to break camp with Boston, improvement at the

Logo
To Keep Reading

Subscribe to BSJ, where members enjoy exclusive content, as well as a connection to tens of thousands of other Boston sports fans!

Loading...
Loading...